Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Golden Age In Black And White

Thursday Story Strip Day.

Recently, my friend Arnaud gave me a folder full of Frank Robbins' Scorchy Smith Sundays. Robbins drew Scorchy from the late thirties to the early forties. His dailies were collected in several issues of Big Fun, all of which I can recommend. You can see the development of his style in these years, but also how accomplished he was right from the start. The Sundays were a revelation, though. As good or even better than the dailies and the colors are just amazing. Arnaud asked my to keep the Sundays for myself, because they are so rare and so expensive. Maybe, if I ever hget the deal done of my book on Milt Caniff imitators, I will be able to represent a full story. If you follow the link, you will see one of them. As you can see here in a black and white selection I found on an online (pay)source, the strip ran from late 1941 to early 1943. They had a seperate storyline and apparently this selection is starting with the first one.





2 comments:

jhegenbe said...

Holy Grail!!

Ira Henkin said...

Wonderful work